Core Sound Friends Meeting / Tuttle's Grove UMC

On west side of Highway 101, north of Beaufort NC. Location is now owned by Tuttle's Grove United Methodist Church, but this was the site of a Quaker monthly meeting for the coastal region starting in the 1730's and remaining active for about 100 years. Most Quaker graves from the early period would be unmarked or indicated by a simple field stone or wooden marker, so there would be few if any early markers to be found. Any later markers that are simple in the Quaker fashion may possibly belong to later Quaker burials. The meeting house was to the west of the road and the current sanctuary, and that is now largely swamp land.

Album info

Popular tags